Monday, April 23, 2012

Teenage Dream

What 12 year old girl wouldn't dream of having a bedroom makeover? Well, when my friend Tracy asked me to design a new space for her daughter Emma, I jumped at the chance. You see...I have BOYS. It is rare that I get to express my feminine side, and here I was, getting to design an entire room based around bright, vibrant colours - I was tickled PINK!
After speaking with Emma and her mom, and learning her favourite colours, her hobbies, and what she likes to do in her room (i.e. Does she do homework at a desk? Would she like to curl up by the window in a cozy chair and read a book?), I took this information and began looking for inspiration. I soon found my jumping off point in the form of these beautiful fabrics from Amy Butler Designs. Here are the ones we ordered from Fabric.com in all of their girly glory.








Aren't they gorgeous? They are from her Midwest Modern collection and look even better IRL! These fabrics are in the process of being made into pillows (in a variety of sizes and shapes) for Emma's bed.
We plan on using the scraps to make her a memo board to hang over her desk. And speaking of desks, this is the one we purchased for her.

It is from Ikea and is going to receive a coat of black paint in a lacquered finish (because every teen or tween's room deserves a little glam, wouldn't you agree)? To go along with the desk, we picked up this chair, also from Ikea,


and it is going to get sprayed in this gorgeous shade of turquoise.


"Refreshing Teal" (2039-70) by Benjamin Moore. It is going to look stunning! 

I will be back tomorrow to share more details about Emma's room. Good night! 
Kerry 




No comments:

Post a Comment